When enterprises migrate to a multi-cloud infrastructure migration, the journey is not without challenges.
A recent survey from MIT Technology Review Custom and VMware asked businesses around the world to discuss their learning curve in the multi-cloud adoption process with unexpected findings.
According to VMware’s cloud management business unit, organisations adopting multi-cloud environments tend to anticipate technical issues, but companies tend to struggle most with changes to staff, policies, and management disrupted by the multi-cloud implementation.
The people and process management challenge reflects the transformative nature of the cloud. Companies will have to restructure their project management process to accommodate the cloud-first strategy and involve every level of the organisation, not just the IT department.
Strategix cloud hosting solutions provides several attractive benefits for your company by enabling you to consume computer resources as a utility – just like electricity – rather than having to build and maintain IT infrastructures on-premise. Extending into the cloud should expand your options without adding complexity allowing you to meet changing business needs with greater flexibility.
VMware recommends a series of best practices to make the cloud adoption process easier:
- Create ONE team. Start a cloud team with a mix of internal IT and external cloud sources, and designate a channel for cloud-related issues.
- Lead from the TOP. Get the urgent buy-in of the top leadership to implement people and process changes.
- Automate IT services. Use APIs to create an automated, self-service portal that provides a single catalogue of IT services.
- Centralise funding. Cloud adoption can alter CapEx and OpEx gearing ratios and may require new budgeting across offices, divisions, and business units.
- Measure scale. Create a way to measure scale and provide comparable data by implementing a standard baseline for comparison purposes.
The benefits of multi-cloud adoption, speed, agility, efficiency and innovation far outweigh the more complex implementation. Organisations should navigate the transformative process with comprehensive planning that includes management change policies.
Get more information about the VMware survey at vmware.com.
Does your IT infrastructure provide the scalability and performance your business requires?
VMware’s cloud technologies assist organisations to fully and securely leverage VMware hybrid clouds and native public clouds for increased agility, accelerated innovation, and optimised costs.